What is Search Engine Optimization:
Search engine optimization or SEO in short, is a set of rules that can be followed by web site (or blog) owners to optimize their web sites for search engines and thus improve their search engine rankings.
In addition it is also a great way to increase the quality of their web sites by making them user- friendly, faster and easier to navigate. SEO can also be considered as a framework since the whole process has a number of rules (or guidelines), a number of stages and a set of controls.
What is a web crawler: (also known as a web spider or web robot) is a program or automated script which browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. This process is called Web crawling or spidering. Many legitimate sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data.
Keyword Attribute: A Meta tag parameter that is used to specify keywords associated with web content.
Description Attribute: Meta parameter that is used to specify a brief description of a web page.
Meta Tags: Description of the page , as well as additional keywords.
Page Title: Determines the relevance of a web page to readers search parameters.
Domain Name: Identifies the website address
Spamdexing: Deliberate manipulation of search engine indexes. It involves methods such as repeating unrelated phrases, to manipulate the relevance of resources indexed in a manner inconsistent with the purpose of indexing the system.
What are natural and organic search results? Organic search results are the Web page listings that most closely match the user’s search query based on relevance. Also called “natural” search results, ranking high in the organic results is what SEO is all about.
Describe the following search engine marketing methods:
Pay Per click: This program charges customers, depending on if their paid listing is clicked.
PPC (pay per click) advertising, is an advertising technique used to promote websites on search engines.
Paid Inclusion: Paid results are basically advertisements — the Web site owners have paid to have their Web pages display for certain keywords, so these listings show up when someone runs a search query containing those keywords.
Video Search Marketing: Uses video to promote or market their brand or services. For example using youtube.
Sponsored Listing: On search engines advertisers usually bid for keywords or phrases for example when a user types a keyword query matching an advertiser’s keyword list the advertiser’s ad text appears on the right hand side or at the very top on the search engine results page better known as the sponsored links section.
Google adsense: is an advertising placement service by google. The program is designed for website publishers who want to display targeted text, video or image advertisements on website pages and earn money when site visitors view or click the ads.
Describe white hat SEO and Black hat SEO? White hat SEO is.
White hat SEO: refers to using search engine-approved methods to optimize your website so that it can be found for relevant queries via search engines. This includes creating unique, frequent content, setting up technical specifications to display your website quickly and accurately, and getting backlinks from reputable, relevant sources.
Black hat SEO: attempts to improve rankings in ways that are disapproved – one black technique is using text that is hidden, either as text colored in the background or a invisible div off the screen or keyword stuffing.
Pick the 5 most important guidelines for Google and Bing Search Engines.
- Think about the words users would type to find your pages, and make sure that your site actually includes those words within it.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content.
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Try to use text instead of images to display important names, content, or links. The Google crawler doesn’t recognize text contained in images. If you must use images for textual content, consider using the
ALTattribute to include a few words of descriptive text.
- Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate.
- Content is what Bing seeks. By providing clear, deep, easy to find content on your website, we are more likely to index and show your content in search results. Websites that are thin on content, showing mostly ads or affiliate links, or that otherwise redirect visitors away to other sites quickly tend not to rank well. Your content should be easy to navigate, rich and engaging to the visitor, and provide them the information they seek. In many cases, content produced today will still be relevant years from now. In some cases, however, content produced today will go out of date quickly.
- Links pointing to your site help Bing discover new pages on your site. It also, traditionally, is regarded as a signal of popularity. The site linking to your content is essentially telling Bing they trust your content. As a result, Bing rewards links that have grown organically, that is, that have been added over time by content creators on other trusted, relevant websites made to drive real users from their site to your site. Abusive tactics that aim to inflate the number and nature of inbound links such as links buying, participating in link schemes (link farms, link spamming and excessive link manipulation) can lead to your site being delisted from the Bing index.
- Social media plays a role in today’s effort to rank well in search results. The most obvious part it plays is via influence. If you are influential socially, this leads to your followers sharing your information widely, which in turn results in Bing seeing these positive signals. These positive signals can have an impact on how you rank organically in the long run.
- Being indexed is the first step to developing traffic from Bing. The main pathways to being indexed are:
Links to your content help Bing find it, which can lead us to index your content
- Use of features within Bing Webmaster Tools such as Submit URL and Sitemap Upload are also ways to ensure we are aware of your content.
- Use of features within Bing Webmaster Tools such as Submit URL and Sitemap Upload are also ways to ensure we are aware of your content
What are web analytics tools and what are their functions?
Web analytics: is the process of analyzing the behavior of visitors to a website. The use of Web analytics is said to enable a business to attract more visitors, retain or attract new customers for goods or services, or to increase the dollar volume each customer spends.
Analytics function: The analysis can include determining the likelihood that a given customer will repurchase a product after having purchased it in the past, personalizing the site to customers who visit it repeatedly, monitoring the dollar volume of purchases made by individual customers or by specific groups of customers, observing the geographic regions from which the most and the least customers visit the site and purchase specific products, and predicting which products customers are most and least likely to buy in the future.