- Explain why Website Payments Standard is:
- Low Cost
People want to pay a cheaper rate and they want their service fast.
- Which are the 4 different methods PayPal can accept?
Accepts all major credit cards, debit cards, bank account payments, checks
- Do you need to have a shopping cart to use PayPal? Name 5 compatible carts with PayPal.
Shopify, Big commerce, 3D cart, Magento, E-junkie
- Are applications, set up, or monthly fees required with PayPal?
There are no monthly fees with paypal, no set up fees either.
- With PayPal, do you need to store and protect customers’ sensitive financial information? No
- Is a long-term commitment required with PayPal? No long term commitment
- Does every customer require a PayPal account to make payments on your web site? No
- Briefly explain what happens after the customer reviews the order in your site and proceeds to check out in PayPal.
They pay for the service or product at paypal and then they return to your website.
- Explain briefly if the PayPal check-out site can match the look and feel of your own site. The paypal can be adjusted to match your theme.
- Briefly explain what encryption is and why PayPal encrypts your business and customer information
Encryption is the process of using a code language to assign different variable to letters, scramble them, and in this way hide your sensitive information from online hackers.PayPal encrypts you and your customers’ information in order to keep PayPal safe and free from fraud cases. This protects everyone.
What is the PayPal transaction fee? 2.9% + 30 cents for US customers.
- What are the three steps to integrate the PayPal Shopping Cart?
go to your paypal shopping cart pageenter your product details
copy and paste the html code generated into your website
Name 5 additional features of the PayPal Shopping Cart.
Easy to implement
No CGI scripting
No upfront cost – you’ll enjoy the same low fee schedule used when you receive other PayPal payments
Paypal maintains buyer records
If your client doesn’t’t want to use PayPal, can you explain what other E-Commerce Hosting Services you can offer to him or her?
Google wallet or click to sell… payment gateway services.
1. Compare and contrast each of the sites below.
Shopify was one the better shopping carts of the 6 listed.
It cost $29 /mo
Social media integratabtle: facebook, pintrest
Offers the user the choices of a online store or point of sale store.
Number of products listed: unlimited
24/ hour support
No transaction fees
Unlimited file storage
You can use any hosting that you want, as well…. I loved shopify
There is no charge to use this cart service and it is paypal integratabtle , as well
Allows the user to make many changes to the design of the cart.
Seems to be marketed towards craftspeople/artist
basic plan cost: $ 9.99/mo
25 products only allowed in their basic plan
no coding required
5 images only allowed per product
Basic Plan: $ 29.95
Accepts credit cards/ paypal
1.5% transaction fee
Free to use
Sell’s templates of carts from $ 124 and up…
Doesn’t require hosting, if you use their cloud.
1 Shopping Cart:
1 GB online storage included
Use their templates or own designs
2. Compare and contrast hosting options available for use with shopping cart software.
Hosting options: Unlimited hosting on big commerce, compared to the rest… was a better deal.
3. Discuss shopping cart vulnerabilities and best-practice preventative measures.
Shopping carts are vulnerable to viruses and attacks.
Zen Cart is vulnerable to quite a number of different attacks, and in some circumstances may allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on the underlying web server with the rights of the httpd process. In addition to remote code execution several different SQL Injection attacks may be possible.
4. What software is needed to install and setup pre-built shopping cart software.
Depends on the shopping cart you use…..
Paypal seems to be the most convenient pre-built shopping cart software.
5. Pick a shopping cart of your choice and install and configure the program.
I like shopify, but will go with paypal.
1. Describe the differences between Transaction Layer Security (TLS) and its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
SSL: Encrypted connection between web server and visitors browser allowing for private information to be transmitted without eavesdropping, data tampering or message forgery.
TLS: The successor of SSL. It ensures privacy between communication applications and their users. When, a client and server communicate, TLS ensures no eavesdropping.
Explain transaction security: A system for ensuring security of financial transactions over the internet.
What are security and payment processing issues involved in developing a site (e.g., SSL, Digital Certificates, SET Protocol, Cyber Cash)?
The issues are developing a site that consumers feel is secure, no one wants to fall victim to identity theft. SSL security certificate is critical. SSL certificates prevent cyber criminals from intercepting financial data. They encrypt credit card numbers/ passwords/ log -ins.
Extended validation is considered the best bet, when developing a e-commerce site. It requires a more thorough authentication process.
What is https and htaccess?
htaccess: A directory level user authorization method. It resides in a directory and indicates which users or groups can be allowed access to files contained in that directory.
https: Secure version of http, the protocol over which data is sent between the browser and website you are connected to.
How to obtain an SSL certificate and secure transactions?
- have a host with dedicated IP address
- Go to SSL.com and pick a SSL certificate from basic to extended validation
- Buy certificate
- Install certificate
- Update your site using HTTPS
Compare and contrast the appropriateness of employing a merchant account or a payment gateway to handle online transactions.
Merchant accounts/Payment Processor: hosted by the processing company. After customers submit their payment information, they are sent back to the e-commerce website.
Payment gateways: Integrate directly within the consumers shopping cart. The transaction is invisible to customers.
Comparison: Payment processors give merchants a bit of freedom, they don’t have to worry about securing financial transactions. The payment processor takes care of it for them.(ex. paypal or google pay)
Payment gateways requires merchants to obtain a SSL certificate to protect credit cards.
Discuss the process, advantages, disadvantages, and costs associated with opening a merchant account.
Paypal is free to set up their basic merchant account. They only charge 2.9% + $0.30 on each transaction. The advantage is it is a secure process, the disadvantage is users have to leave your website to make purchases to the payment processor.
Describe the process, advantages, disadvantages, and costs associated with using a payment gateway.
Biggest advantage is the process is invisible to users it is integrated in the shopping cart. Cost are securing a SSL certificate basic or EV. Disadvantage is you have to worry about credit card user’s security.
What is Search Engine Optimization:
Search engine optimization or SEO in short, is a set of rules that can be followed by web site (or blog) owners to optimize their web sites for search engines and thus improve their search engine rankings.
In addition it is also a great way to increase the quality of their web sites by making them user- friendly, faster and easier to navigate. SEO can also be considered as a framework since the whole process has a number of rules (or guidelines), a number of stages and a set of controls.
What is a web crawler: (also known as a web spider or web robot) is a program or automated script which browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. This process is called Web crawling or spidering. Many legitimate sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data.
Keyword Attribute: A Meta tag parameter that is used to specify keywords associated with web content.
Description Attribute: Meta parameter that is used to specify a brief description of a web page.
Meta Tags: Description of the page , as well as additional keywords.
Page Title: Determines the relevance of a web page to readers search parameters.
Domain Name: Identifies the website address
Spamdexing: Deliberate manipulation of search engine indexes. It involves methods such as repeating unrelated phrases, to manipulate the relevance of resources indexed in a manner inconsistent with the purpose of indexing the system.
What are natural and organic search results? Organic search results are the Web page listings that most closely match the user’s search query based on relevance. Also called “natural” search results, ranking high in the organic results is what SEO is all about.
Describe the following search engine marketing methods:
Pay Per click: This program charges customers, depending on if their paid listing is clicked.
PPC (pay per click) advertising, is an advertising technique used to promote websites on search engines.
Paid Inclusion: Paid results are basically advertisements — the Web site owners have paid to have their Web pages display for certain keywords, so these listings show up when someone runs a search query containing those keywords.
Video Search Marketing: Uses video to promote or market their brand or services. For example using youtube.
Sponsored Listing: On search engines advertisers usually bid for keywords or phrases for example when a user types a keyword query matching an advertiser’s keyword list the advertiser’s ad text appears on the right hand side or at the very top on the search engine results page better known as the sponsored links section.
Google adsense: is an advertising placement service by google. The program is designed for website publishers who want to display targeted text, video or image advertisements on website pages and earn money when site visitors view or click the ads.
Describe white hat SEO and Black hat SEO? White hat SEO is.
White hat SEO: refers to using search engine-approved methods to optimize your website so that it can be found for relevant queries via search engines. This includes creating unique, frequent content, setting up technical specifications to display your website quickly and accurately, and getting backlinks from reputable, relevant sources.
Black hat SEO: attempts to improve rankings in ways that are disapproved – one black technique is using text that is hidden, either as text colored in the background or a invisible div off the screen or keyword stuffing.
Pick the 5 most important guidelines for Google and Bing Search Engines.
- Think about the words users would type to find your pages, and make sure that your site actually includes those words within it.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content.
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Try to use text instead of images to display important names, content, or links. The Google crawler doesn’t recognize text contained in images. If you must use images for textual content, consider using the
ALTattribute to include a few words of descriptive text.
- Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate.
- Content is what Bing seeks. By providing clear, deep, easy to find content on your website, we are more likely to index and show your content in search results. Websites that are thin on content, showing mostly ads or affiliate links, or that otherwise redirect visitors away to other sites quickly tend not to rank well. Your content should be easy to navigate, rich and engaging to the visitor, and provide them the information they seek. In many cases, content produced today will still be relevant years from now. In some cases, however, content produced today will go out of date quickly.
- Links pointing to your site help Bing discover new pages on your site. It also, traditionally, is regarded as a signal of popularity. The site linking to your content is essentially telling Bing they trust your content. As a result, Bing rewards links that have grown organically, that is, that have been added over time by content creators on other trusted, relevant websites made to drive real users from their site to your site. Abusive tactics that aim to inflate the number and nature of inbound links such as links buying, participating in link schemes (link farms, link spamming and excessive link manipulation) can lead to your site being delisted from the Bing index.
- Social media plays a role in today’s effort to rank well in search results. The most obvious part it plays is via influence. If you are influential socially, this leads to your followers sharing your information widely, which in turn results in Bing seeing these positive signals. These positive signals can have an impact on how you rank organically in the long run.
- Being indexed is the first step to developing traffic from Bing. The main pathways to being indexed are:
Links to your content help Bing find it, which can lead us to index your content
- Use of features within Bing Webmaster Tools such as Submit URL and Sitemap Upload are also ways to ensure we are aware of your content.
- Use of features within Bing Webmaster Tools such as Submit URL and Sitemap Upload are also ways to ensure we are aware of your content
What are web analytics tools and what are their functions?
Web analytics: is the process of analyzing the behavior of visitors to a website. The use of Web analytics is said to enable a business to attract more visitors, retain or attract new customers for goods or services, or to increase the dollar volume each customer spends.
Analytics function: The analysis can include determining the likelihood that a given customer will repurchase a product after having purchased it in the past, personalizing the site to customers who visit it repeatedly, monitoring the dollar volume of purchases made by individual customers or by specific groups of customers, observing the geographic regions from which the most and the least customers visit the site and purchase specific products, and predicting which products customers are most and least likely to buy in the future.
Women make up about 12 percent of programmers and developers in today’s workforce.
In former times women developers were at a disadvantage from making the same salary, as their male counter parts.
Forbes cities the study where males made $ 95,000 and women made $ 87,000 a year.
Along with the study by Dice, Smithsonian.com highlighted another study by the American Association of University Women that found pursing a career in computer sciences, as well as with engineering and health care, has some of the greatest earning potential for women. A chart from this study shows that from 2007 to 2008, one year after graduation, there was no significant difference between the income of men and women who majored in computer sciences; both made an average annual income of $48,485.
On the other hand, Dice said it still may appear that men make more than women. In 2012-2013, an average income for a man in the computer programming field was $95,929, compared to $87,527 for a woman. However, these differences are reflected in the difference positions that each gender holds. Despite this difference, Dice reported that the “satisfaction with compensation was nearly identical with 58 percent of women stating they were satisfied, as compared to 56 percent of their male counterparts.”
But, its possible to make the same salary, as males even working remotely. At companies that believe in equal pay.
More women should get into programming and developing.
There are special schools for women developers.
There is a school in Seattle, Washington for women developers called ADA, which is non profit.
That has a 7 month intensive training class.
The daily learning for these women is from:
The academy features two sections: 7 months of intensive in-class instruction, followed by five months of internship at a Puget Sound region tech company. Class is every weekday, with holiday and vacation breaks.
Here’s a typical day in class:
|9:00 – 10:00||Instruction of new material|
|10:00 – 10:30||Daily assignments presented and explained|
|10:30 – 10:45||Break|
|10:45 – 12:30||Continued instruction|
|12:30 – 1:30||Lunch|
|1:30 – 2:30||Guest speaker|
|2:30 – 5:00||Project work|
|Project work||Student review with instructors|
Being a woman shouldn’t stop anyone from fulfilling their dreams of a challenging career.